| || |
I don't care how careful you are in your surfing (I think I am) but somehow
these little programs install themselves or your installed a "free" software
program (aka freeware). The freeware people gotta make money somehow, so they
install malware on your computer...it probably asked you, but you hit NEXT
without reading the screen just thinking it was part of the program and you
needed it to run it...ha.
Here is a good article explaining - http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/20/welcome_to_your_worst_malware_nightmare/index.html
Need to block you kids from bad sites - http://www.opendns.com/
Sections - (click on link below to goto a section on this page)
Clean it NOW and keep it clean
Do these steps frequently.
- CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ -
get it, run it. It will delete all temporary files that are spread all over
your system. Do this before running a malware removal, that way it doesn't
take that long to scan through all those files. If you are scared to run it,
then make sure you clean these 3 places:
- Temporary Interenet files - either though "Internet
Explorer, Tools, Options" or through "Windows" explorer "C:\Documents and
Setting\YOURPROFILE\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" (you will have
to make sure you can see hidden files by doing "Tools", "Folder Options",
"View", "Show Hidden..."
- Temp install files and such - located in "C:\Documents and
- Temp install files - located in "C:\Windows\temp" or
- Scan for malware - use Malwarebytes.org - www.malwarebytes.org
- One malware scanner cannot find everything, use a secondary.
Spybot www.spybot.info - get it, update it
(spybot updates above download file and run the spybotsd_includes.exe file), do
"immunize", then "check for problems"
and fix all. The immunize option is the function you want to get out of this
one, but do a scan also, between this one and Adaware they will find all of
them. Both of these won't find everything, but newer versions of
Norton Anti-Virus will...
- Spybot should take care of most everything but if not -
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de/ - get it, update
it, scan it (change setting to "Perform full system scan"). OR use
- Still got some kind of problem? refer to my main pc page at
bottom Need Help removing
- If you have kids run Spybot at least once a week, keeping it
- As always, make sure your Anti-Virus software virus
definitions are up to date. see Virus page
- If pc is still slow, defrag the hard drive with Windows
Defrag or use www.defraggler.com
- still slow - defrag your page file with PageDefrag from
sysinternals (now Micro$oft) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426.aspx
- still slow - check your page file size,
- goto: "Start, Settings, Control Panel, System"
- look at how much memory you have under Computer on General
tab...example: 1gig of RAM
- goto: Advance tab, Performance button, Advance tab, Virtual
- Initial size should be 1.5 times how much memory you
have...example from above if i have 1gig of RAM (1024mb), then initial size
should be 1536mb
- Max size should be 3 times how much memory you
have...example of 1gig is 3072mb
To run these automatically from command line (or
cd "\program files\ccleaner"
spybot - remember to update the defs either
by copying the good "\includes" directory or /autoupdate option
cd "\Program Files\Spybot - Search &
spybotsd.exe /taskbarhide /autoclose /autoimmunize
Beware not all cleaners are good http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm, so be
Sites to help solve an annoyance
Pop-Up stoppers - I do not use these because they are "treatments" to the
problem...I like to solve the problem. Think about it, most pop-ups aren't
really a problem while your surfing, you kinda expect a one little
advertisement pop. But when you are not surfing (you don't have a browser
open) and all of a sudden a window pops up...that is a program running poping
those little windows every 30 seconds or so.
XP with service pack 2 installed has a stopper built in...thanks Bill.
Refer to Keep It Clean section to get rid of them.
If you must have one click here ...this one is from Google, it has no junk
with it like others (ie:Yahoo)
Tips from someone else
This info taken from "chaslang" Anti-Spyware-Man
You are here: Home-Computer Tips & Help-Spyware/Malware
Previous Topic: Virus Next Topic: Spam