| || |
I hate spam...in fact I think spam is an invasion of my
Sections - (click on link below to goto a section on this
Computer Spam, Virus, and Security
- In April 2002 18% of all email traffic was SPAM. In September
2003 54% of all email traffic was SPAM.
- Viruses, Worms, and Hackers are not targeting YOU. They are
targeting those who are VULNERABLE.
- In 2001 there were over 21,000 new computer viruses… In 2003
over 114,000 new computer viruses have been created.
- In July 2001 the Code Red worm infected over 300,000
computers in 26 hours. In 2003 two worms accomplished the same task in 14
- The number of security patches for computer systems has
TRIPLED over the last 18 months.
- The rate of increase of vulnerabilities to hardware and
software computer systems has DOUBLED every year for the last 3 years.
- Over the last 3 years the elapse time from a vulnerability
being discovered to its exploitation code release by a hacker has decreased
from WEEKS to HOURS.
- The projected world wide costs for clean up of hacked or
infected computers is over 119 Billion Dollars.
- Over the last 5 Years 1 in 10 people have been subjected to
- For the 27 Million Americans who have had their identity
stolen in the last 5 years the average cost to institutions per incident is
$10,000 or collectively over 270 Billion Dollars.
- Over ONE THIRD of the 27 Million identity theft incidents in
the last five years have happened in the last 12 months.
Tired of "Junk" email?
- No mailing list --- Never signup or submit your "work"
email address on a mailing list, get a "free" email account on Yahoo, Hotmail,
Excite...these email services already have "Junk" mail filters in them and
they automatically put "Junk" mail into its own folder.
- Electronic cards --- Tell your friends not to send you
electronic cards to your work email address or any other "send this to my
- Jokes/chain letters --- When(because you really shouldn't do it anyway)
forwarding jokes and anything, clean all the email addresses off the top of
the body of the message(and make sure your friends do the same when they
forward). A trick to keep yours off is to use the BCC(blind carbon copy)
- Remove Me --- DO NOT try to do the "remove" at the bottom
of them, this only makes things worse(because now they know you at least read
it and make the determination that you need more).
- Links within a Junk email --- Never click on links within
a "junk" email, because your email address is embedded in the link and as soon
as you click on it, it sends something to them that says hey they want
Want to learn more go here
I am a SYS Admin looking for help?
Spam Filter - A spam filter is a
"treatment" for the problem, not a solution. It is really a pain to set
up/maintain and it's not a science. They basically tally all the words up
in an email and score the email (which really works well from a "email is a
communication tool for business" point of view)...but people use or mis-use
their email address to sign up on list and do their personal business. So make
sure your filter just marks their emails as spam, then they can either deal
with them or set up a rule to move them automatically to another
Black List - A black list is the way
to go. There are several listings out there for "known" spammers. If you can
set your server up to utilize some kind of black list server, then do it.
There are alot of list out there, so make sure you look up its "reasonings for
listings" or "how they are maintained"...some work on reporting only, some
reporting and verification, and some don't say how they are maintained. The
ones that work on reporting and verification actually will check to see if the
email server is "unsecure", meaning its "send" part of the server is open for
the world to use (called a relay). The emails are rejected back to the sender
with an explaination, so if they really want to email you...they will
Couple things, if you can get your email server/spam
filter to do a few things: (this might help a little)
reject blank sender email
reject blank sender and subject email
make sure your server is not being used to spam(open relay).
test it by sending an email to "nelson-sbl-test@ crynwr.com" (take the space
out), make sure you send it from the server your trying to test.
Free List to configure your
"Realtime Blackhole List Servers"
You are here: Home-Computer Tips & Help-Spam
Previous Topic: Spyware/Malware Next Topic: Hoax Don't Spread It